How to Setup a Multi-Protocol VPN Server Using SoftEther in less than 90 seconds!

Disclaimer

NOTE: I have used Debian 8 when writing this tutorial. My custom script will work on Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS and Fedora but haven't been tested yet. However, I can confirm that this script works for Debian(7,8,9), Ubuntu(12,14,16,18)  and CentOS(6,7).

P.S. I used 5 different sources to create and edit the script for my needs which provides the user with many configurable options.

Introduction

This article explains how to install and configure a multi-protocol VPN server using the SoftEther package. We enable and configure OpenVPN and L2TP over IPSec and SSTP VPN Servers on Linux. For the sake of this tutorial, I decided to use the simple configuration and decided to configure my VPN server to use vNAT and vDHCP(in order to get OPEN(Type 1) NAT in online games). You can use the 3rd option in the script to use your own DHCP server and NAT to achieve maximum speed. This VPN is configured to use my PiHole DNS servers to automatically block online intrusive ads, popups etc.

Features of SoftEther

Prerequisites

Make sure wget is installed! 

For Debian/Ubuntu: 

apt install wget

For CentOS/Fedora: 

yum install wget

Installation and setup

Total steps: 5

Step 1: 

Connect to the server via SSH and run the following command:

bash -c "$(wget -O - https://vpn.thenoobstribe.ga/download.php?file=SoftEtherVPN.sh)"

Step 2: 

Select your architecture(I chose Intel x64/AMD64) as I have the 64 bit server.

Step 3: 

Select your OS(I chose Debian/Ubuntu because I’m using Debian 8)

Step 4: 

Choose your desired build(I chose the latest beta build)

Step 5: 

Choose your desired configuration(I chose the SecureNAT option)

Now you can just connect to your VPN server using SoftEther client, L2TP etc with the user "VPN" and password "PASSWORD". You can make edit the current user, add or delete the users from the SoftEther server manager(GUI) using the server administrator password: "PASSWORD" ----> make sure to change it ASAP! 

Video Tutorial

The video tutorial can be found at: https://i.ammar.ovh/i/1537980445.mp4

Takeaway 

We have downloaded, installed and configured SoftEther VPN server on Debian 8. We configured our VPN server to use SecureNAT(vNAT and vDHCP). We have also added an init.d script which will auto start the VPN server on system reboot. Online intrusive ads, popups etc will also be blocked automatically because this script uses my PiHole DNS servers.